Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Ode to the Car... again

I'm pretty sure I already did an "Ode to the Car" post but since we no longer have our Subaru, I will of course have to post about "Big Rosa" (so named by my wonderful husband). Here's the story:

Saturday night we were driving home from St. George after just attending a most wonderful Temple session. We were about 15 miles from home when Big Rosa started to make a Horrible noise. We pulled over and could see nothing wrong with the tires, so of course there was something wrong "internally".
We ended up driving 30-40 mph on the shoulder of the road with our flashers on in order to get home. We did arrive safely and we made a plan to get it into the shop Monday morning to have it looked at.
Mandy... Adam's wonderful wonderful sister accepted the call to be our chauffeur for the next couple of days. Monday morning she picked Adam up to take him to work and then she came back to our house to get her hair done (might as well get something out of getting up early... right!!) Then Adam called and said... "um I have some bad news".
Apparently something came loose in the car and got in the transmission and ruined it so we basically need a new one. But since our car is not worth the $2000 it would cost to fix it we cannot justify dropping that much just to have a new tranny put into it.
So to sum it up... Big Rosa is gone from us forever... and we are left AUTOLESS. Interesting how things work isn't it. All I could do when I first heard the news is LAUGH. I laughed so much that Adam thought I was crying. I think I was laughing in order to keep from doing just that.
Honestly though I know that the Lord knows our situation and if this car was meant to die, then... it was meant to die and I am so grateful it didn't happen when we were first married with NO money or when Adam was still in school. We have been so blessed just to even have had a car let alone the means in which to buy something new.
So we are now driving my mom's car around for the next couple of weeks until we find another car that will suit our family. Thanks again Mom.

7 comments:

J Fo said...

She'll be sorely missed. May she Rest in Peace!

Megan said...

Why didn't you call me?! I'm all alone and have no one to talk to ALL day; I would have been more than happy to let you borrow mine and drop me off at work! You silly pants...

Adam said...

Goodbye dear Big Rosa!! I'll never forget you.

Sam said...

We wish you peace at this sad time, a death in the family always brings much sorrow!!

Davis Family said...

Hello Ashley!
It has been awhile! Cute blog and cute family! I just wanted to tell you I started a blog of my own finally and I am adding you to my blog list just so you know! I got you from Kim! Hope you had a wonderful holiday season!
Love,
Amber Thompson Davis
My blog is mattandamberdavis.blogspot.com

Katie M. said...

oh dear. I'm sorry you lost big rosa. Shed a tear:)

I love your xmas photos below. Beautiful!!!

Kris &Tiersa LeSueur said...

What a bummer!! Well hopefully Kris can help you guys get a good reliable car!